In order for any form of therapy to receive the designation of "evidence-based therapy," the American Psychological Association requires it to:
- Be practical and accessible.
- Demonstrate clinically meaningful improvement of symptoms.
- Be researched by multiple groups of scientists in numerous separate studies to ensure that the outcomes of treatment are reliable.
CBT-I is an evidence-based therapy.
- CBT-I is among the most studied forms of psychotherapy for insomnia.
- Studies show that in individuals who tried CBT-I, more than 70% of people significantly improved their insomnia symptoms.
- Using CBT-I to treat insomnia was not only superior to non-treatment control groups but also superior to other available treatments in the long run (such as sleep medications).
Simply put, CBT-I is the most effective non-habit forming natural treatment that cutting edge science has to offer for chronic insomnia.